A Special Sunday Meal
Nothing reminds me more of a Sunday meal at my mama’s house than this recipe. Homemade hamburger steak and gravy is also a favorite request for birthday meals, especially for my dad. We have been spoiled with delicious, homemade meals like this one and we are excited to share it with you.
Your Next Family Favorite
This recipe may be simple, but the taste is anything but. I have never seen any leftovers when this is made. My mama always cooks it in a heavy cast iron pan. The meat is seasoned simply with only salt and pepper but you can spice it up with onions and peppers if you want. Of course, you could add additional seasonings. The meat and the gravy makes a perfect combination, in my opinion, without anything extra. This is likely to become your next family favorite.
Homemade Hamburger Steak & Gravy
Serve with hot white rice or mashed potatoes and peas to round out your plate. It’s more fun with mashed potatoes because you can make a hole in them and then fill the hole up with peas. Top with the gravy. We always called it making a “gravy boat.” It’s not just a meal, it’s a memory.
Hamburger Steak & Gravy
- 2 lbs ground beef (More if you are having company!)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee (unbrewed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: onions, peppers, and any other seasoning you prefer
- Spray a frying pan with a little bit of nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the pan on medium.
- Shape ground beef into 1/2 inch thick steaks (2"x4").
- Place hamburger steaks into the pan and cook until juices run clear.
- Remove the hamburger steaks from the pan and set aside for later.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan.
- When the mixture of water and juices in the pan begin to boil, stir in 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 cup of water.
- Reduce heat to low and stir the flour mixture with a whisk to eliminate all the lumps.
- When it starts to look like gravy, add 1/4 tsp. instant coffee (unbrewed) and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the hamburger steaks back into the pan.
- It's perfect and ready to eat just like this but if desired, add any other seasonings you prefer or enjoy cooked onions and peppers along with your hamburger steak.
Just remember, calories don’t count when eating Homemade Hamburger Steak & Gravy!