Nothing reminds me more of a Sunday meal at my mama’s house than this recipe. It’s a favorite request for birthday meals as well. She has spoiled us with delicious, homemade meals and we are excited to share this special one with you – homemade hamburger steak and gravy.
Hamburger Steak & Gravy
A simple recipe that is truly the best hamburger steak you will ever eat!
- 2 lbs ground beef (More if you are having company!)
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp instant coffee (unbrewed)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: onions, peppers, and any other seasoning you prefer
- Spray a frying pan with a little bit of nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat the pan on medium.
- Shape ground beef into 1/2 inch thick steaks (2"x4").
- Place hamburger steaks into the pan and cook until juices run clear.
- Remove the hamburger steaks from the pan and set aside for later.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan.
- When the mixture of water and juices in the pan begin to boil, stir in 1/2 cup flour mixed with 1 cup of water.
- Reduce heat to low and stir the flour mixture with a whisk to eliminate all the lumps.
- When it starts to look like gravy, add 1/4 tsp. instant coffee (unbrewed) and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the hamburger steaks back into the pan.
- It's perfect and ready to eat just like this but if desired, add any other seasonings you prefer or enjoy cooked onions and peppers along with your hamburger steak.
As mom says, “Don’t forget to make mashed potatoes.” This is one of our favorite family meals and I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. If you are short on time, just use the instant mashed potatoes out of a box like I do. They won’t taste as good as my mom’s homemade ones from scratch with real potatoes but they’ll do!
Just remember, calories don’t count when eating Homemade Hamburger Steak & Gravy!