Rice & Meatballs
Rice & Meatballs
Super simple with great taste, this is a recipe my siblings and I loved when we were growing up. We still get excited when we see that mom has made this and my daughters enjoy it as well.
- Meatballs Use as many as you want in a large skillet. Recommended to use homemade meatballs but store bought works too.
- Water Enough to cover meatballs completely.
- 1 cup Rice Use your favorite variety.
- Salt & pepper Season to taste.
- In a large skillet, place as many of your favorite meatballs as you like.
- Cover the meatballs completely with water.
- Add 1 cup of rice.
- Cook on medium heat until the rice is tender and the meatballs are done. If needed, add a little more water as it cooks.
The rice and meatballs may stick to the pan some as they cook. To try to prevent this, rub butter on your pan before you start or spray with a little bit of non-stick cooking spray. Trust me, it will be delicious no matter what. Don’t even worry about it if it sticks to the pan a little. The only way I have ever eaten this is with homemade meatballs. It’s more work to shape the hamburger meat into balls yourself, but it makes all the difference. The rice is really flavored by the meat cooking. If you don’t have time to make the meatballs, buy them (look for a Homestyle variety if purchasing frozen). You can always make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze them to save time later. If you go the frozen route, homemade or store bought, just thaw the meatballs out before cooking for a faster meal. Enjoy this plain, just the rice and meatballs, or mix a little ketchup in before you take your first bite. It might sound odd if you’ve never tried it, but it’s good either way.
Just remember, calories don’t count when you are eating Rice & Meatballs!