There is something special about being in a strawberry patch. Maybe you went as a kid and now you take your kids. Searching each row on a local farm for those ripe, red berries to fill your bucket and sneaking a few to eat is just a sign that the weather is warming up and life is good. There are so many delicious desserts you can create with strawberries, but strawberry pie will always be at the top of my list. I give you my word that there has never been a strawberry pie better than the one my mama makes and it is definitely worth your time to try this recipe.
The Best Fresh Dessert
Maybe you won’t forget that you are eating a pie, but the fresh strawberries will help you feel healthy at the same time. Strawberries actually have more vitamin C than oranges. Prevention reports, “Strawberries are rich in fiber as well as vitamin C, a nutrient pairing that’s great for reducing oxidative stress, which can reduce heart disease and cancer risk. Plus, strawberries are a good source of potassium, which has been shown to help protect against heart disease.” Studies suggest eating strawberries can reduce heart attacks, cholesterol, add folate to your diet, and even slow cognitive decline. Who knew these little berries were so amazing?
- 1 pie shell
- strawberries washed and cut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 tbsp strawberry Jell-O
- 3 tbsp flour cornstarch could also be used
- 1 cup boiling water
- Bake a pie shell according to the package directions.
- Allow the pie shell to cool completely.
- Fill the pie shell with clean, cut up strawberries. Slice the berries to your size preference.
- In a saucepan, put 1 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the sugar, Jell-O, and flour to the saucepan. Stir.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Cool the mixture in the saucepan completely.
- Pour the cooled mixture over the berries in the pie shell. Refrigerate immediately.
- When the pie has set and is firm, top it with Cool-Whip. Enjoy!
For more info on the health benefits of strawberries:
Visit a local farm near you! And remember, calories don’t count when eating Strawberry Pie!